I’d been living in Brisbane, QLD for over a year and a friend suggested we go camping to the Scenic Rim. I thought she was referring to some far away outback town, 7 hour drive and a road full of pot holes. I was quickly corrected.
The Scenic Rim spans 4,256 km2 and is home to The O’Reilly’s, Lamington National Park, Springbrook and much of the Gold Coast Hinterland: Mount Tambourine, Lake Moogerah to name a few, (also where a lot of the UK I’m a celebrity is filmed.) Our first trip we stayed close to Rathdowney with #youcamp (more on that later.) a super small village, km and km of rolling countryside, wallabies and cattle as far as the eye can see, feeling a million miles away from the city and overlooking MT Lindsey and MT Barney.
Our second trip most recently we stayed in between Canungra and Upper Beachmount, Ilinbah, again with #youcamp on a beautiful acreage in a small valley surrounded by green hills and a couple of highland cattle.
There is A LOT to see in this region, here are a couple of things we’ve enjoyed so far:
1. Tambourine Mountain; the village boasts 7 wineries Witches Falls
2. Denham Falls, small walking track, google maps will show you to go down a private land track (don’t do that) instead take the turning off Doncaster Road onto Flemington Road and follow to the cross roads where the track to the falls begins. You could only go as far as the viewpoint when we were there and not actually down to the swimming holes, short walk, 15 mins so well worth a quick stop.
3. Drive towards Rosins Lookout and watch the paragliders whilst enjoying a coffee from The Flying Bean Cafe and enjoy the incredible view over MT Warning.
4. Cedar Creek Falls at MT Tambourine
5. Twin Falls at Springbrook, a really great 5km walk to the plunge pool where you can take a much-needed dip at the bottom before hiking back up to the top.
I would LOVE some more local recommendations on what to see in this beautiful region?