No Beaches in Brisbane? Think again!
We decided at the beginning of last year that we needed to live in a house by the beach so after 13 months living at Kangaroo Point in Brisbane CBD we packed up and moved to the ‘burbs. We’ve spent the last 6 months living 250m from the beach in Scarborough and it has been incredible.
The peninsula now easily connected to the CBD by train (closest stop: Kippa Ring) or the Hornibrook / Ted Smout Bridge (drive, cycle, walk) is a hidden gem for people wanting an escape from the city and don’t want the added journey time to Goldy/Sunny Coast.
The journey will take you 40-75mins, traffic/public transport pending but a good run in the car is a quick 40 minutes.
The peninsula, part of Moreton Bay is split into:
- Woody Point: check out The Belvedere Hotel for sundowners (dog friendly);
- Clontarf: home of camping, designated camp grounds, plus there is always a lot of camper vans in the rest-stops, right on the beach front, hot-spot for kayaks, paddle boarders and doggy-paddles.
- Margate: if you’re looking for op-shops this is the place to be, as well as Poppy Vintage Shop – Also several other eateries, supermarkets, bottle-shops etc.
- Redcliffe: the main hub of the peninsular, the jetty is great for fishing, fabulous food (message me for recommendations) Sutton’s Beach and The Settlement Cove (The peninsula’s free lagoon for swimming.) Redcliffe’s Sunday markets are a MUST, with everything from fresh fruit and veggies, delicious smoothies, jerky, cheeses, gorgeous souvenirs and everything in-between. Redcliffe offers Whale Watching in season and access to Moreton Island. Redcliffe 2 Moreton
- Scarborough: mainly residential but an amazing play-park for kids complete with climbing tree’s, pirate ship and jumping. air-bag. Great place to relax on the beach as it is very quiet and often you can watch skydivers landing. Sky Dive Brisbane
- Newport: Beautiful marina, amazing sea-food restaurants and definitely worth a drive if you visit during the Christmas holidays as the local residents go all out with their Christmas Lights up and down their private jetties.
What are you waiting for? Get out of the city and visit your local 22km of coast line.
TIP: There a heaps of BBQ’s along the Coastline so don’t forget your snags!