I’m sure if you search Byron Bay there is a million and one blogs/reviews/things to do because it is a massive tourist hotspot. I ask that you don’t let this put you off as it is still definitely well worth a visit and still retains it’s small town charm. I will keep this short and list my top 5 favourite things to see/do in Byron Bay.
- The Lighthouse – We were lucky enough to see 2 giant sea turtles, 2 rays and a pod of around 24 dolphins – breathtaking! Oh, and a bush turkey. This is the most Easterly Point in mainland Australia and well worth the hike.
- The Pass: grab a coffee, get there early and watch the sunrise whilst the morning surfers catch a wave (or if you’re a surfer – get out there!)
- For amazing Vegan Falafel try: Orgasmic Food Byron Bay
- Thai Lucy for authentic Thai food + it’s BYO
- I’m an avid camper and would highly recommend Discovery Park Campsite – approx 25 minute walk into the main town and great value at $20 pnpp (includes showers and swimming pool!)
Like many, I love Byron Bay and desperately hope that the influx of tourism will not affect the beautiful natural vibes this small beach town exudes. It has the magic to make you feel like you’re a million miles away despite being only 2.5 hours from Brisbane and 1 hour from the Gold Coast – it’s even a do-able day trip, (just beware of the parking meters. )